Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Yeah...right!(sarcastic)

Time seemed fast paced this past days. Two weeks to go and we're closed. Yeah, due to some financial problem, our office is going to close its operations. I will be (again) one of so many people aspiring for a new job.

We were already noticed last month, so we were also encouraged to search for jobs. I did passed my resume to anywhere I can. At least to those job postings which I think I can do based on my qualifications(can't aspire for a job if you're unfit and under qualified for it, right?)

One day, when I went with my brother to his agency's office. I asked him to inquire if they have job openings. So okay, they said they'll see if they have openings, then after a while they asked my brother for my basic information like name, school, work experience. And I did, only to say after, this phrase(which I find to be stupid-pardon me for saying that 's' word): "Ay, hindi sya pwede kasi over qualified ang kapatid mo, masasayang lang sya dito samin, try nya na lang sa iba"

Yeah Right!!(sarcastic tone) with rolling eyes...hah!

OVER QUALIFIED...for crying out loud!! it didn't even bring smile to my face but rather I must admit I was hurt. I didn't find it as something that I could be thankful for. I find it to be such a stupid thing to say. How can I be over qualified for them? I am a graduate at University of the Philippines-Baguio a Degree holder of B.A in Social Sciences Major in Social Anthropology Minor in Political Science, graduated May 2008. Been working as an Administrative Assistant in one of the NGOs here in Manila since December 2007. This is just my qualifications and yet they said I am over qualified??!(insert harsh word here)

Why on earth, does over qualification became a big deal in hiring people for a job? I think, as long as the applicant agrees with the situation, nothing is wrong to hire an "over qualified" aspirant. I think it would be much better if they told us that they do not have any job opening instead of saying that I am over qualified. I am not choosy in finding a job and I find this quote quite true: "beggars can't be choosers" and since as a job seeker and due also to economic crisis, recession etc. it is harder to find a decent job making me a beggar for work. Therefore, I will grab any job opportunity that will come my way(as long as it's legal). I'd rather be a practical underemployed than to become a bummer at our home doing nothing. After all, everyone must start somewhere lower before reaching the top.

I must admit, I am still pissed off until now.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...